Monday, January 14, 2008

Home alone

Well, I survived day 1 of being home alone with Jonah. Matthew returned to work today. Not all went as planned but that's pretty much standard around here these days. It also was a lot better than I thought it would be.

I had this idea that I would get up early with Matthew and get dressed while he was still home. But, Jonah had other plans: eating. He still has days when he wants to eat very frequently and he can be very demanding when he's hungry! By the time I was able to finally do the baby hand-off to Matthew, he had to jump in the shower and get ready for work. We also didn't make it out for a walk today. Every time I thought we could go, Jonah either needed a new diaper or wanted to eat or was crying and needed close cuddling. Being home alone truly means that the only thing I can do is take care of Jonah. No chores. No phone calls. Even making myself lunch was a challenge!

Luckily, we did get a nice nap in together. There's really nothing quite like snuggling up with your warm, delicious little baby for a nice mid-day nap. I was also pretty proud that I was able to soothe Jonah pretty quickly today and we had some nice time together when he appeared content and alert, looking around and at my face for long stretches. He has the most beautiful eyes, which are turning blue just like his dad!

I was glad when Matthew was able to come home a little early today. Of course, Jonah was finally settled down for a nice nap, not fussing, not wanting to eat, fresh diaper, when Matthew got home. I finally got my chance to brush my hair and "freshen up" a little for the day. Matthew promptly moved our napping baby to his favorite spot in the world, right on Matthew's chest, and now both are fast asleep on the couch. ~ Nicole

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay! a success! i knew it would be.