Monday, January 14, 2008

Back to work

It was the strangest feeling leaving the house this morning. I haven't worked in nearly a month. My life is completely different now. Completely better. When I left, Nicole was sitting on the couch with Jonah trying to calm him. He was crying about hunger or gas pains - none of us, including Jonah, can tell the difference. I felt bad of course, leaving her alone to care for our baby. We have learned over the past few weeks that it's a full time job and then some taking care of a newborn. The two of us had our hands full with him and we still had trouble getting things done. Keeping up with the housework, getting enough rest, getting to the grocery store - all seem so difficult when you're in babyland - and that's with two people at home. So I felt guilty leaving her and felt so sad leaving Jonah. I just can't describe how much I love him. He's just so incredibly beautiful and perfect. I could just watch him sleep all day. And he smells so good that I want to eat him.

I also felt guilty because I was a little bit excited about returning to work. Not completely of course, a job is a job and ideally I would have another week or two off to help out. But I do like my job. It was a crazy first day back too. First order of business was to meet with the head honcho and his #2 who are visiting from Germany this week to assess the progress of EPA USA. I haven't seen these guys in almost three years. I felt completely out of it, but the meeting went well. We had to meet in one of the only restaurants in DC that still allows smoking because, well, they're Europeans. They are appalled by our stupid American smoking bans. My boss - or boss of bosses - is a really nice guy and very easy to chat with. English is not his native language so without meaning to, he says some funny stuff. Like "freelancers jump for the sausage." ??? Anyway, they know I have a baby at home and after a shooting quick assignment this afternoon I was able to cut out early. I immediately hit the couch with Jonah and fell fast asleep. The greatest feeling in the world.

1 comment:

Dani said...

Is the jumping for the sausage something like the early bird getting the worm? that is the funniest thing ever!