Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day


Today is the second time I am celebrating Mother's Day as a mother myself. It may be one of those holidays invented by advertisers or greeting card companies, but, frankly, I like it. And, though I'm still kind of waking up, before the day really starts rolling -- breakfast, play, lunch, nap, play, dinner, bath, books, bed -- I thought I'd share a few random, if a bit disjointed, thoughts on this beautiful, sunny Mother's Day morning.

I got to sleep in today, a little bit, but it was hard to stay in bed when I could hear Jonah chatting and playing happily, practicing some new words that we understand -- "pup" (cup), "tee-eey" (kitty), "cruck" (truck) -- and a few that sound really cute but we haven't quite figured out yet. (We think he is practicing "Hugo." Yay!) And, when I did get up, Jonah walked up to me and said, "Mama" and then gave me a big hug. Does he understand today is a special day? Maybe. Even Sammy, our cat, jumped into my lap this morning, something he rarely does.

Matthew is making a special breakfast today. I requested French toast. We are having whole wheat French toast topped with sliced bananas and real maple syrup. Yum, yum and yum. I love it when Matthew cooks for me. I especially love it when he also cooks for Jonah!

When I was a kid, my sister and I knew how to be royal pains in the asses at times. When Mother's Day or Father's Day rolled around, we would almost always ask, just to be brats, why isn't there a Kid's Day? Mom's answer: "Every day is Kid's Day." It's really true and I'm sure some day I will say the same thing, but right now I am still in awe of my sweet, beautiful, blond-haired little boy, who is less and less of a baby every day. Right now, he is looking at the coloring book that the clerk at the post office gave him, calling the cartoon pictures of beevers "tee-eey!" and scribbling a bit with the crayon here and there. I still wonder where the heck he came from while at the same time finding it hard to remember my life before he was here. Today is Mother's Day, but I know it will be all about Jonah, because really, isn't that what Mother's Day is all about? The kids. And, that's fine by me.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mother's in my life. Love, Nicole