Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Head down, thumbs up!

Our birth assistant, Liz, visited tonight. A birth assistant helps the midwife but she will also help me and Matthew with my labor and birth. She felt my belly and we were thrilled to hear that the baby is head down! (The baby still has lots of room to move all around, but it was still great to hear.) She used a fetascope to listen to the baby's heartbeat and Matthew and I got to hear it, too. No matter how many times we hear it, it's always a great sound to hear. Then, she did this really cool thing called rebozo using a big scarf to rock my belly back and forth. It's supposed to loosen everything up and encourage the baby to move into the right position for birth. It felt really good and relaxing. She showed Matthew how to do it so now we have another trick to practice. Of course, as this was all going on, I said, "Matthew, get your camera!" I'm so glad we have photos to share. Liz snapped a few shots of Matthew, too. (Please excuse any unflattering shots of the giant pregnant woman. Although, Liz did tell me that my stomach is really tight ... a nice thing for a six-months pregnant woman to hear!) ~ Nicole

4 comments:

Dani said...

I love the fetascope shots! That thing is cool and low tech.

Unknown said...

I want to do rebozo right now! It looks so relaxing.

That's really cool that Liz comes to your house.

Nicole said...

It's very cool that she visits our house. And, she stayed for over an hour! Lots of good attention. This was the first of two visits before the birth.

Nicole said...

The lovely Liz recommended better links for "fetascope" and "rebozo" in this post, so check them out. The new rebozo link is from this great website called www.spinningbabies.com.