Friday, April 8, 2011

Roadblocks

I'm trying hard to turn the many roadblocks I see in my path this morning into opportunities.

That sounds so corny, like a self-help book, but it's true.

Both kids woke up way too early today. I think I finally looked at the clock at 5:30, after Julian wouldn't stop tossing and turning next to me. I ignored him for as long as I could, but it's impossible to ignore a 9-month-old baby in your bed, when all he wants to do is giggle and crawl around and try to dive off the bed. About 20 minutes later, I heard Jonah. Awake from coughing and crying for me. I made a half-hearted attempt to get each of them back to sleep. It wasn't happening. I convinced Jonah to bring some books to my bed, thinking I could at least stay horizontal a bit longer. It turned out to be a wonderful hour we spent talking and reading in bed, and I was amazed by the fact that Jonah has memorized many of his books and likes "reading" his books to me just as much as he enjoys having me read to him. He "read" Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, The Runaway Bunny, The Little Bunny and Cleo's Counting Book to me. Soon, he grew hoarse and started coughing again. He was refusing the homeopathic cough syrup I offered, but I convinced him to join me and Julian in the bathroom for some steam. I tricked him. I told him I needed to take Julian in the bathroom for the steam to help his cold, but that I'd love it if he'd join us and play with his squirt trains in the sink. We stayed in there for as long as the shower stayed hot. Julian played on the floor with bath toys while Jonah "washed" his trains in the sink.

My plan is to go to a mothers' support group this morning. Matthew is out of town on work, so I arranged for a friend to watch Jonah and have a playdate while I took Julian to the group. But, the friend canceled due to her own family's challenges (cold, lack of sleep, etc.). I totally understand. But, I need to come up with a new plan. Fast. Well, not really, since I was up at the crack, but I'm very slow-witted in the early morning. When my plans fall through at the last minute, I often feel very, very indecisive about which direction to go. I could just stay home and skip everything, taking what can feel like the path of least resistance. But, then, it's so nice out and I was looking forward to the walk. Jonah has this terrible cough, so I'm just not sure about taking him to the playroom where he could play while I'm in the group. I don't think his cold is contagious any more but he has a hacking, gagging cough that is very disconcerting, especially to people who haven't heard it off and on every day and night for a few days, like I have. (The homeopathic cough stuff does seem to work, but you really do have to take it every two hours on the dot.) Anyway, I know I may freak people out by bringing my "sick" kid to a playroom today, but I really NEED the group. So, then I was thinking, well maybe I'll skip the group and just take the kids to a playground. But, I can't commit to that. It's because I really need to go to the group today. So, now I am thinking that we will go anyway, as soon as Julian wakes up. I should be helping Jonah get ready, but here I am writing away.

I decided to let Jonah wear his pajamas, which are really just the clothes he wore yesterday afternoon for his nap ... and the same clothes he wore to bed last night. So, that's one less thing to do. One less roadblock to leave the house. But, I still need to get him to brush his teeth. I need to put some snacks in the bag. I need to get everyone's shoes and coats on. I need to strap the kids into the stroller, and bring the Ergo in case Julian gets crazy at group, and start walking. Group starts in 20 minutes. Julian is still napping, which I'm totally not complaining about. Jonah is playing with his trains, but kind of wishing I would pay attention to him. Ah, and he's starting to brush his teeth! Maybe to get my attention! Gotta go support this positive behavior! Stay tuned to find out if I actually get out of the house this morning ... and maintain a positive attitude. Hopefully, it won't take me another three months to write. ~ Nicole

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your
web site, how can i subscribe for a blog website?
The account helped me a applicable deal. I had been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast offered brilliant
clear concept

Visit my web blog Zahngold Rechner