Sunday, January 25, 2009

A few things that happened during Pepe's visit for the inauguration:


Jonah, Pepe and I saw the baby gorilla at the zoo, nestled in its mother's arms. We also saw the baby elephant and learned it weighted 325 pounds at birth.
Pepe taught Jonah how to shake his head "no" for fun.
Jonah exclaimed with amazement at the sight of a big box of soft blocks that were a gift from our neighbors Bill and Thom.
I made beef stew. Then, I didn't cook again all weekend.
Matthew worked a lot.
I studied the newspapers each day trying to figure out the best plan to get a 13-month-old baby and my 63-year-old father to the Mall on inauguration day without any tickets to the ceremony.
We got tickets the night before the ceremony.
We got a second offer of tickets the night before the ceremony. I had the gall to ask, "Where are they?" and then say, "No, thanks."
A white stretch limo arrived at 3 a.m. on inauguration day to pick up Matthew. He arrived home at 1:30 a.m. the next day.
I got annoyed after hearing my dad say repeatedly how sorry he felt for Matthew to have to work so much. "I work that hard every day," I said. He laughed and said, "Yeah, and you don't even get paid."
Pepe, Jonah and I waited in a huge mass of people to get into the ticketed area on inauguration day. Jonah freaked out at one point. I nursed him standing up in the huge mass of people.
A couple from the Midwest gave us two hand warmers to put in Jonah's shoes. Our own hand warmers remained in the packages inside our coat pockets.
I carried a baggy full of cut up apples and pears in my coat pocket all day on inauguration day.
After not moving more than a few feet in a hour, we decided to go inside.
I cut in front of everyone in the security line to get into the Rayburn House Office Building because I had a baby in my arms.
I changed Jonah's diaper on a random piece of office furniture in a hallway in the basement of the Rayburn House Office Building.
I had a little freak out of my own in the Longworth Building trying to figure out whether we should venture back outside or stay indoors.
We watched the ceremony from inside the office of Congressman Cohen from Memphis. There were coffee and donuts. And, floor space for Jonah.
Jonah walked and crawled around in the gleaming hallway of the Longworth House Office Building.
Other than the freak out, Jonah was quite the trooper on our cold, crowded trek to and from the inauguration.
Jonah slept almost the whole way home, wearing Pepe's big gloves on his hands.
We made it home to watch the parade from our cozy couch.
I forgot to have someone take a photo of all three of us on inauguration day.
We ate at The Diner in Adams Morgan twice. Each time it was super crowded and each time we had really great service AND Jonah remained happy during the entire meal, including dessert.
I had to call Connie to find out where the nearest Catholic church was so Pepe could attend. Connie said, "I'm happy to be your Catholic church guidance counselor."
Despite Pepe offering to go "buy us a couple of grinders," we did not each grinders as there are no grinder shops in Adams Morgan. Yes, according to Pepe, we "people are weird."
Pepe asked me what the unemployment rate in DC is and I did not know the answer.
Pepe did our dishes and cleaned our kitchen every night.
Pepe read books to Jonah every night.
Pepe got teary-eyed watching Barack Obama being sworn in as the 44th president.
Pepe got teary-eyed when Jonah and I dropped him off at the airport. Jonah was asleep in his car seat. Pepe said, "Give Jonah a kiss for me."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful and hectic.