Saturday, March 15, 2008

Blocked

I've had writers' block. Bloggers' block. I've been struggling with what to write about because it might bore our dear, faithful readers. I could tell you about the minutae of my day. How I obsess about sleep. My own and Jonah's. And, Matthew's, especially when he's had too little. Or, when I've had too little, which is pretty much every day. How I struggle to organize Jonah's day to include two good naps (never happens) and some time outdoors for fresh air and stimulation, along with regular interactions with others while also trying to keep up with the laundry so those poop stains don't set in and so I have a least one outfit that fits (not many do yet) and is free of spit up stains. Meanwhile, I can't forget to eat -- I get so hungry sometimes since I'm nursing -- and now that I'm a "housewife" I feel pressure to do more cooking and baking. (I know this is kind of stupid since Matthew couldn't care less who cooks dinner most nights, but I would like to become more proficient at the "domestic arts.") I could go on and on. I love my new job. Love it. But, I wonder how much of this stuff is even remotely interesting to anyone, especially anyone who doesn't have kids. Thankfully, I've gotten to know a few moms, including very new, first-time moms, like me, with whom I can freely discuss topics like poop and naps without feeling small-minded. Before I had Jonah, I would have glazed over during conversations about swaddling techniques and the large variation in the number of poops babies have (for the record, it is normal for it to vary from one per week to eight per day!). I probably would have thought, "Geez, she needs to get out more!" So, these things are going through my head every time I sit down to write about my life as Jonah's mom. But, what I know is true and just haven't yet figured out how to convey is how much bigger my world is with Jonah in it and how mind-expanding it is to watch him grow. ~ Nicole

5 comments:

ShakenFruit said...

We want to hear EVERYTHING!!!! Keep it coming! Even your entry about writers block is great.

Anonymous said...

yeah. this is motherhood. spill it all.

Unknown said...

Becoming a momma is the most beautiful, fascinating, mind-numbing, exhausting, satisfying, frustrating,intelligence-erasing/expanding sublime thing in the world. Write on, writer.

matthew cavanaugh said...

the "one per week to eight per day" was an exaggeration by me that Nicole took as fact (something that happens often - like the time Dani told her that the roof was going to cost a "million dollars" to fix.) but he did have at least 5 duce drops yesterday and some days he only has one - crazy.

Dani said...

Million dollars!! LOL.