Wednesday, October 24, 2007

We're having a . . . BABY!

Sometimes I forget I'm pregnant. Like when I went running through the airport in my flip flops to catch . . . my bag off the conveyor belt! And, tripped and went splat! right down on my side. That was a couple months ago when my belly wasn't even very big. Aside from a couple of bruises on my knee and elbow, I was fine. Fortunately, the baby is very well cushioned. Now that my belly feels enormous, you'd think I'd remember I'm pregnant. But, no, I still forget from time to time. The other day I was lying in bed (on my side, not on my back -- oh, how I long to lie on my back!) reading for a while. I got up and started walking down the hall toward the kitchen, probably to make some sort of snack (for the baby!). As I walked, I absentmindedly smoothed down my shirt over my stomach and was imagining my normal, not totally flat but kinda skinny stomach. Seriously, I was actually surprised for a second to feel this giant basketball-sized belly under my hand! Weird. You'd think after more than seven months I'd remember. Other times, I remember I'm pregnant but have these moments of "Hey, I'm actually, truly, really having a BABY! Like, a baby is actually going to come out of me. Crazy!" It's really mind boggling. Or am I just nuts? Matthew thinks I'm a little kooky for saying these things out loud. Things like, "We're really having a baby! A baby is going to come out of me! I can't believe it!" But, it's really a strange thing to wrap your brain around. This other person is growing inside my body. A baby is living inside me, squirming around, hiccupping (a lot lately), kicking, punching, flipping, floating, sleeping, looking at his or her placenta (the thing he or she loves best right now) and who knows what else. Another whole person is right now, at this very moment, living inside inside my body. It's kinda bizarre when you think about it. Or is it just me? ~ Nicole

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm right there with ya. it is mind blowing and nutty. unbelievable. crazy-assed shit. seriously.